follow me on instagram

Pages - Menu

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Re-interpreted Japanese maki

Let's start with one of my favourite recipes: VEGAN MAKI.
In case you're wondering: yes, I'm veg(etari)an and proud to be. Anyway, I hate labels and I think sometimes these kind of specifications are unnecessary and counter-productive. That's the way I like to eat and, if you want to discover what I actually mean, just keep following me!

I really like this flavour-matching, hope you do as well.





INGREDIENTS:
100 gr rice for sushi
25/30 ml apple vinegar
½ tsp brown sugar
1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
2 sheets nori seaweed
1 small avocado
1 handful dried tomatoes (you can soak them for a while if you want)

PROCEDURE:
Soak the rice for 15 minutes, then rinse it under running water (using a small colander) until the water is transparent. Put it in a pot with double quantity of water, cover and let cook over low heat for 10 minutes from when it starts boiling. Then let it covered for other 10 minutes after switching off the cooker. Meanwhile, mix vinegar, sugar and salt and heat a bit until they melt. When the rice is cooked and all the water is absorbed, put it in a large bowl, season with the vinegar and let it cool down. Create the maki using the ingredients that you prefer (I suggest these), cut them and serve with soy sauce and wasabi paste.

This dish was part of a super tasty japan dinner I made for my boyfriend on a special occasion 
Have a look at the whole table, doesn't it look like real "jap style"? I only missed some asian accessories to set the table properly, next time I will buy them!

From the left: 1. carrots and zucchini tempura - served with lemon and miso sauce 2. roasted peppers sashimi 3. saffron onigiri filled with shitake mushrooms 4. avocado and dried tomatoes maki

No comments:

Post a Comment